Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pearson's OpenClass and Google Apps for Ed

I took a break from the iPads today and spent some time testing the new *free* LMS put out by Pearson called OpenClass. What interested me about it is that it was created to integrate with Google Apps for Ed and since our school is a GAFE school and we use a CMS (Moodle) I thought it would be good to see what OpenClass could do. I have been looking for a seamless solution that combines/integrates Google Docs and Moodle.
On the first pass I created a teacher (Instructor) and student account to play around with. Because I was playing the role of three different people (admin, instructor, and student), I decided to use Google Chrome and log in as the teacher in an incognito window. THIS DID NOT WORK WELL! I was unable to access the teacher editing tools until I logged in in separate browsers.
I have not read any manuals or watched any tutorials, so right out of the box there are some confusing features.
1-I have no idea how to create an assignment with a due date (like in Moodle) or even if it is possible;
2-the organization is confusing andi can't easily see how to customize it
3-what is the difference between a "submission" and the other "gradable" items?!

Snapshot from OpenClass
That said, some cool features I found is the ability for course participants to post on "the wall" and the icons on the top left that enable a user to see how many email messages they have as well as upcoming events taken directly from the Google Calendar.

Clearly I still have a lot of learning to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment